Thursday, August 27, 2015

Five Generations



Recently we celebrated my maternal grandfather's 83rd birthday.  It used to be that when we had big celebrations I was reminded how cool it is to actually have my grandparents.  My husband doesn't even have his parents anymore.  Now, I live in constant gratitude and recognize the extreme blessing to be able to say, "We have five generations here on this earth right now."

There is wisdom to be found in the lives of those that have gone before us.  When we have them in our presence it's like getting to interview a historical figure; no need to read the history book.  I've been planning for months to give my grandparents a list of interview questions.  I'd like to do a video interview with them, but I will be happy just the same if I can get them to answer the questions in any capacity at all.  They are a treasure to behold, and I desire to know all I possibly can from their experiences.  I'm sure they learned a lot of lessons in 80+ years.

"One generation shall commend your works to another, 
and shall declare your mighty acts."
~ Psalm 145:4

All of us really enjoy their company, and it is a treat to spend time with them.  I feel very blessed to actually reside just 20 minutes from their three season residence.  We don't get to the farm as much as I would like, but we do get to play host to all of the family gatherings.  Though it may be tiring at times, I consider it a privilege and an honor.  There are so many fond memories that include them throughout my life.  I remember just sitting on the front porch waiting for their motor home to turn the corner.  Peter Rabbit surely knows my grandmother personally for all the times I made her read me that story when I was little.  There was the sea shell collection that my grandmother started me on from their travels around the world, and the wisdom my grandfather would share as we walked his property with him pointing out various plants that were good and safe to eat.  He walked me down the aisle when I married my husband.  Currently, they play a very important role in our lives, the lives of our children, and the lives of our grandchildren.

Yes, my grandpa is Santa Claus!

Our family is truly blessed to actually have real, live elders.  It doesn't seem so common in our society anymore.  It saddens me to know that the youngest three of our children will not have any elders when they are our age.  If I am honest, they will be lucky to have us.  When we realize just how temporary our lives are it becomes a bit more important to make the best of our time.  We've been working on doing just that.

"Only take care, and keep your soul diligently,
lest you forget the things that our eyes have seen,
and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life.
Make them known to your children and your children's children - "
~ Deuteronomy 4:9

Having already raised seven children to adulthood we recognize very clearly how fleeting time is and just how valuable our time together is.  In that knowledge, and the fact that our youngest three will be left with the absence of elders, it is more important to us than ever to be very conscious about the things we teach them.  We are a bit more purposeful with our time.  The things we do, the decisions we make, everything comes from a different perspective for us now.

There is no greater gift than that of family.  Life happens no matter what we are busy doing.  The memories we create now will outlast our life, so it is very good to create the very best lasting memories we possibly can.  I hope this party lives on for decades with my children and grandchildren.

This is just part of The Crew.
We are missing three children, two son-in-laws, and three grandchildren.
It would be a miracle to find us all in the same spot anymore.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...