Thursday, May 15, 2014

Politics Gives Me a Headache

Politics may give me a headache, but I am taking the challenge put forth by Dr. Ben Carson at the GHC conference in Cincinnait.  His challenge was to take one-half hour each day to learn something new.  The political climate has been weighing heavy on my heart, so that is where I am putting my focus.  I personally feel that never in my lifetime have our personal freedoms been more in jeopardy.

I remember when I first registered to vote.  I was so proud!  It was a big deal.  I was raised to take the right to vote very seriously.  My paternal grandfather was a circuit court judge, and my dad just loved politics.  Then, there's the uncle who's a lawyer.  At least on my dad's side there was always talk of the political nature when I was growing up, but somehow I managed to stay out of the loop.  Although, when I first became a registered voter I did get involved on a grassroots level with the campaign of Ross Perot.  That was an invigorating feeling.

Time has passed, and my views have matured from more left thinking to more right thinking, but I do not affiliate myself with ANY party.  (I'm pretty sure they're all crazy and corrupt.)  Never in my lifetime have I felt more conflicted and unaware and helpless, and ill-informed, and, and, and!  It's so frustrating.  Can you believe there was actually a time when I believed that propaganda was something that only happened in other countries?  Oh, how I was bamboozled!

So, this challenge presented by Dr. Carson?  Sounds simple, right?  Well, let me tell you that it is not.  It should be, I think, but it really is quite challenging.  Hence the word 'challenge', I suppose.  At first I thought it would be so simple to learn my state representatives, what they stand for, and their voting record.  What was I thinking?!  It's challenging enough to learn who there are, never mind their voting record!  Then there's that whole 'half hour per day' thing.  We should be able to find a half hour per day to learn something, right?  Well, I thought it was a pretty realistic expectation.  I have to say, "I have failed miserably!"

Even though my area of interest has been much more challenging than anticipated, AND  the time commitment required poses a bit of an issue, do not fret!  I have not given up, and I will persevere.  So, if any of my dear readers would care to share resources for my educational endeavor, I would gladly have them.  I've asked my hundreds of friends on Facebook to no avail.  Guess I'm not the only one that finds this challenging.  Lord willing, I WILL be an INFORMED VOTER by the time of the next election.  Maybe I'll even be informed enough to share what I learn with others.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...