Thursday, October 15, 2015

FishFlix - Little Boy - A Review



I have to admit I LOVE GOOD MOVIES.  Like, I really, really enjoy movies, especially the quality films that make you wonder, if you don't already know, was this a book before it was a movie?  I have very fond memories of enjoying movies together as a family with pizza and popcorn for birthday celebrations when my older crew was growing up.  As the oldest ones grew into young adults and ventured out on their own, we transitioned into a different tradition of private outings with just me and one of my teens which always seemed to include a trip to the "cheap theater."  I have to admit I didn't always enjoy the film we saw together, but I cherish the moments spent one on one.  Now, raising three more young ones we've become a bit more discerning in our viewing selections.  We have the occasional family movie night, and have ventured to the drive-in once as a family to enjoy a double feature under the stars.

With this round two parenting journey we are traveling I am so thankful for companies like FishFlix.com where you can find quality films at an affordable price in the convenience of your own home.  A good movie is a real treasure; similar to a good book.  As a homeschooling family that caters to the individual learning styles of each family member, movies are included in our learning experience from time to time.  I am thankful that I had the honor of reviewing the movie, recently released on DVD, Little Boy.  The hubby and I enjoyed it on our own after the children were tucked away for pleasant dreams.  Although this story is told through the eyes of a seven year old little boy, it's rating is PG-13 for "some thematic material including violence."  All of mine are 10 years and younger, so we wanted to preview it on our own first to determine if it was appropriate viewing material for any of our crew.

The story takes place in a small town in the United States during World War II.  This appealed to me, because we recently studied World War II in our homeschool.  Harmony has found it fascinating, and I really like building on what we've learned through various types of resources.  I do plan to watch this with her in the future.  Despite her age, I do feel that she will find the movie enjoyable, and I am not concerned about the rating having viewed the film and discerned the elements for myself.  I should note that it is an appropriately emotional movie at times, but it is difficult to have a story about war not contain at least some violence and emotion.

Little Boy is a wonderful film filled with faith and inspiration.  I love that it's told from the perspective of a child.  Many elements of family life are present and well represented providing an abundance of opportunities for quality conversations between parents and children.  There is great potential for inclusion within the homeschool as part of a unit study or a curriculum supplement in a family with middle school aged children and above.  We will be enjoying it for years to come as a family, and also within our homeschool.  I can't wait to watch it again!

Get Social with Fish Flix



FishFlix.com Review No 2
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...