Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Concerned

I try not to get too political here, as politics really seem to be divisive and entail so much emotion. However, this blog is about me and my thoughts, and my thoughts seem to be going to the state of our country a lot lately. There are many things that I find disconcerting.

On the top of my list is likely to be the fact that so many people in the United States really, truly are not educated. When it boils down to it, do we really know the history of our country? If being honest, I would venture to guess that most would answer, "No." It is so, very dangerous, don't you think? I have learned in my mere 38 years that knowledge is indeed power, and there is real truth in the old saying, "Those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it."

It seems to me that we are on a bee line to disaster, and there are so many out there that are leading the way. Why do they not realize where they are headed? How can they speak of tolerance and equality, when they do not live what they are saying? How frustrating it is to me to watch otherwise intelligent individuals discriminate against a person or group of people in the name of their right to not be discriminated. Oh, how we can be so narrow minded and suffer from tunnel vision!

Our society, in general, has gotten so bloody selfish! There is no peace in a lifestyle all based on what "I" want with no consideration to the overall good of humanity. No one can be healthy if they always have things their way just because it is what they want. Sometimes it is essential to consider the whole picture. More often than not, a closer evaluation of history and what has led to this particular point would be supremely beneficial, and might I add eye opening.

Please, take the time to educate yourselves! The more I learn, the more I find out just how much I do not know. Obtaining knowledge is an endless adventure. There is SO MUCH literature available in so many mediums, there really is no excuse for ignorance. If you have access to the Internet and your local library you can stay occupied for an innumerable number of years.

I implore you, get to know your librarian. Pick a subject that you think may be of interest to you, and explore it. Look for resources. Use them. Every journey begins with one step. Eliminate yourself from the stereotype. Become an informed citizen. Might I add, become informed on BOTH sides of whatever issue you are exploring. Know just exactly what it is you believe in and why you do not support the opposing view point. Do not remain narrow minded.

If you live in Michigan, or any other state that picks up Canadian television, watch their broadcast sometime. You'd be amazed at what you will learn about your own country that your local media does not report. It is a sad state of affairs when citizens of other countries know more about our history and current affairs than those that call themselves Americans.

3 comments:

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

I agree!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Your comment about US Citizens not being educated? This is the danger of No Child Left Behind. Yes, it's a great concept but you know what? It's so focused on the slower learners that the kids at the upper end of the spectrum, the future Bill Gates and Barack Obamas... they aren't just not being educated. They're dropping out.

Scary stuff.

Tina @ The Zoo Crew said...

Storm - Thank you for your comment.

Susan - Well, I wouldn't even credit it as a great concept, personally. What about meeting EVERYONE where they're at. In my opinion, where education goes wrong is teaching to the "middle". Any child that is above normal or below normal gets "left behind". You bring up a valid point in mentioning the kids dropping out. However, I chose to look at it as "dropping in", to life that is. We are so deceived into believing that institutional education is the only way to go. What a lie! - - Yes, it is scary stuff.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...