Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Meniere's Disease?

Well, due to my symptoms and the recommendation of my chiropractor, a naturopath, and a doctor's assistant we attend church with, I have made an appointment to see an ear, nose and throat doctor on Monday. I am a little nervous based on the research I have done in regard to my symptoms. It appears I could have Meniere's Disease. No, I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but the description of the symptoms fits me to a 'T'.

This started about two or more months ago with mild vertigo that progressed greatly in intensity. With the vertigo I would experience nausea and sweating, or clamminess. It would only be relieved by my laying down and relaxing. It didn't take it away, but it helped me deal with it while waiting for it to pass. Even with my eyes closed I would experience the vertigo. These episodes would REALLY wear me out. I mean total exhaustion here, folks.

Then, I started having ringing in my right ear. On Friday, September 12th, the ringing got SO bad that I was about to go batty. So, I called my chiropractor, and they had me come in. On my way there I had the worst attack of vertigo I'd ever experienced. Yes, I was driving, and it was the worst trip ever. It was SO terrifying! After a time I made it to the office. I had to be helped into the office and to the table. Talk about awkward. I am a VERY independent person, and you know it's bad if I'm asking for help to walk. I don't know why, but I cried a lot. I just felt so out of control. It didn't hurt or anything. It was just REAL bad.

So, I've not had one full-blown episode of vertigo since. However, the week that I had that bad episode was also when I started having trouble with my hearing. After that bad attack of vertigo it went out completely. This Friday will make a full month that I've not been able to hear out of my right ear. I am still experiencing strange things with vertigo type symptoms that never fully emerge into a full-blown vertigo attack, and I have "white noise" in my right ear. That is it. I can hear the occasional vibration from certain sounds, and it's hard to filter through a lot of environmental noise to focus on one thing.

I really appreciate my hearing. The most aggravating thing is when I am driving in my car. My "bad" ear faces my passenger, and I SO cannot hear hardly anything they are saying. It's even worse when the windows are down, and we are on the expressway. It's VERY frustrating. I am beginning to relate to a whole segment of society that lives with something that I never could have imagined I would experience in my lifetime.

I am confident that God has a plan for me with or without my hearing. I am doing my best to see it as a blessing and look for the ways that I will better be able to do His will. Don't get me wrong. It is frightening. I am just looking at the bright side and keeping my mind focused in the right spot. Every so often that means I have to real myself back in. No matter what, God can use me. It is very likely that our next language study will be sign language. :-)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...